Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Our Monday night walk....







My previous post ended with how I was going to take Kita and Chase out for a walk, and we did! But boy did it ever turn out to be an awful experience!

For those of you better acquainted with our great little town, there is a place here called the "dog walk" this place is a nice walk along the water where dogs are allowed to roam free and play around...(assuming that you have control of your dog)
This is normally a good thing, letting your dog burn off energy, get lots of "great" smells, and generally have a good time mingling with all the other dogs. Unfortunately as we were ending our walk and heading up by the marina we saw a dog coming with it's owners...The dog we saw coming, had attacked both Kita and our friend Sadie's dog, "Oso" before! I noticed that their dog (a purebred Akita...Yoshiko) was leashed, and I told Sadie & Ian to leash the dogs right away. No sooner had I said that and Yoshiko's owner unleashed her, and she came charging at Kita. I yelled (well...I guess I am not much of a yeller these days) to unleash Kita, so she could get away. But of course Kita was unlucky and the Akita pinned her down by the neck! It was awful listening to your dog yelp and cry...(keeping in mind I had Chase in a pack on my back, leaving me pretty much helpless)...Ian (this was sort of out of a movie) picked the Akita off of Kita, and threw it! Thank goodness we haven't shaved Kita yet, and she was ok...However, in the midst of all that, when Ian grabbed Yoshiko, (covering his face with his arm) the dog bit him! This all resorted in a trip not only to the police station, but to the hospital as well for Ian!
Long story short ~ Yoshiko has a file on her now, and if there are ANY other reports on this dog attacking it will be deemed vicious. Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE dogs...and I didn't sleep Monday night, as I was SO worried that these people might end up having to put their dog down...I was SICK about it...But I keep thinking, what if Chase was at the age where he was walking....what if he had been walking next to Kita when the dog attacked...no doubt he would have been hurt! What if Kita had been shaved down, the dog surely would have done some damage...I am so glad that Ian is ok to...This dog bit him through a thick jacket, I'll post the pics...I would hate to see what that dog would have done if there were no jacket either. I truly understand...some might consider you a tad bit "crazy" to break up a dog fight, but tell me this...Would you not do the same if your dog was pinned to the ground, crying and yelping?!! I know Kita isn't an angel, but #1. She's 7 in May, and this dog is not even 2....and #2. This dog outweighs her by at LEAST 30lbs!!
I guess the thing that bugged me the very most, is the owner then came yelling at Ian for throwing their dog...Not once was there an apology for what their dog did to ours...
~Coral

No comments:

Post a Comment