Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day after the tsunmai warning!

Well yesterday morning Chad & Ian had booked a dive out in Lahina. They were supposed to dive around 7:00am (I think) and Bryan and Jamie were going for the day to do their own thing. Fayne, Chase, and I had planned a lovely day of going back and forth fro the beach, to the pool...

So...at about 6:45 (local time, obviously) the phone started ringing like crazy. By the time I answered the phone, no one could hear me saying hello, and so I think they hung up...Or maybe Fayne had answered at that time as well, and I hung up...How that goes exactly...I am not sure.
Anyway, I was laying there still very groggy, and half asleep, when Fayne walks in my room and says "Coral, we need to get water ready, and warm clothes...there is a tsunmai warning and we have to get ready to go." WHAT!?!?!?!
I guess when Chad, and Ian got to where they were about a 1/2 hour away they called us to let us know what was going on. We are on the fourth floor of this timeshare, and the bottom two floors were being evacuated...but our mini van is a rental...and they are not insured under "Acts of God" so off we go....
We headed up a bit, but really the highway is considered the "high point." We met some people from Oregon, (when we got to the parking lot where we hung out for most of the day) and they had brought champagne, bloody mary mix, beer, and a sixty of vodka! Then they went to the little grocery store and bought every sandwich there was...They told us if we got hungry, to let them know (good to know if a catastrophy does happen!!)
The mood was pretty mellow where we were, adn as it came closer, more seemed a bit nervous...we were hearing things that the waves were as big as 9 meters tall, to "not as big as expected" toit might pass us all together and just head for Japan....
We weren't really sure....
A couple people acted pretty stupid. Someone went past the road blocks and headed to the water. The police turned on the sirens and chased them... The helicopters were flying over with police and the mayor in them, with megaphones telling people to get off the beaches and out of the water (some really were trying to surf!!) And there was a siren that whereever you were sounded...
When it was all over, and it ended up missing us, we came back, had a bite to eat, and Chase asked to go to the pool!

Anyhow, I had better get going...
Today it is raining...and calling for it for the next few days...
I will post some pictures when I get home, as my computer has crashed, and I am using Jamie's.
~Coral

No comments:

Post a Comment